Camper Info: A Fragrance-Safe Environment
The Health Issue
A significant number of us suffer from heightened sensitivity to solvents and petroleum products commonly found in perfumed and fragranced commercial products. Exposure to even small amounts of these troublesome chemicals can cause debilitating symptoms, since they can act as respiratory irritants, cardiac stimulants (skyrocketing blood pressure and palpitations), and neurotoxins (causing blurred vision, loss of equilibrium, and mental confusion). Unfortunately, these chemicals are used in many of our daily care and personal hygiene products. Extreme chemical sensitivity results from continued exposure to these products. Even small amounts of fragranced or scented products used in our camp environment will compound to intolerable levels for our most sensitive community members. Please work with us in creating an environment that can be enjoyed fully by all members of our community.
- BACDS will supply all hand-washing locations with fragrance-free soap.
- We will provide fragrance-free body wash, lotion, shampoo, and hair conditioner for your use in your bathrooms. We will maintain a central supply where you can refill your containers if you run out during the week.
- We do not anticipate a mosquito problem at the Bishop’s Ranch.
- Please bring fragrance-free deodorant, powder, body oil, and sun block.
- Please leave your perfume or aftershave lotion, hair spray, dandruff shampoo or hand sanitizers at home.
- Please launder your clothing in unscented laundry detergent, avoiding fabric softener.
- Please completely air out clothing that has been dry-cleaned and avoid clothing that has been stored in mothballs. If you can, wash sweaters, outdoor garments and dressy clothes, too. (These may have picked up fragrance during previous wearings).
- Please be aware that products containing the insect repellents DEET or citronella can pose a significant problem for chemically-sensitive people, especially in enclosed environments. If you need to use Bite Blocker when spending time outdoors, please wash and change into clean clothes before returning to enclosed camp environments.
Fragrance-free products are readily available from natural food and body care retailers and from well-stocked drugstores and supermarkets.
- Deodorant: Tom's of Maine, Le Stick, Jason, The Crystal, Liken, Almay, Mennen Unscented
- Hair Gel: Magick Botanicals, KMS, AloeVera 80
- Fragrance-Free Shaving Cream: Noxzema, Kiss My Face, English Leather
- Bar Soap: Pure & Natural Unscented Glycerin Soap
- Laundry Soap: Arm & Hammer Fragrance Free, All Free & Clear, Trader Joe SoapWorks, Planet, Country Save
- Body Powder: baking soda and/or cornstarch
- Lip Balm: beeswax-based varieties
- Sun Block: Nature's Gate, Neutrogena for Sensitive Skin (Fragrance Free)
If you have any concerns about the use of fragrances or insect repellent at camp, the camp manager will be happy to help resolve them.
Thank you for your active cooperation in making camp welcoming for all.